Indeed

Things that seemed important enough at the time

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Cocoal.icio.us continued

I meant to give Buzz some comments about Cocoal.icio.us when I would pass him in the hall - but it just hadn't happened, so when I wrote the last post we finally got around to talking about it.

Cocoal.icio.us is a great app, allowing you to accomplish things that are easier to do in a desktop app, such as searching as you type. It's got a really clean UI, which I expected just from knowing Buzz. The actions that you can do within del.icio.us are pretty simple - post, edit, view - and most of what I have been doing so far is posting. For me, I have the same sort of conflict that I do with Bloglines vs. NetNewsWire (I'll rehash this in a future post) - posting is a little more convenient (and to me, appropriate) within a website. del.icio.us has a script that you can add to the Safari toolbar that will add the current link, which works really well. Where I think Cocoal.icio.us really shines is in viewing and editing. When I'm trying to find a link it's much easier to search by typing or click around on the various categories and get immediate results - which is where the web version isn't nearly as elegant.

I had originally hoped that Buzz would to add a list of other people's del.icio.us links, but it turns out you can do that sort of thing by subscribing to various items in your inbox (though I still need to try it). I think my usage pattern for this will be similar to shared iTunes playlists - I don't want to look at them all the time, but when I'm in the mood for surfing and have time to kill, it is fun to browse other people's links.

My only other feature request is for the ability to sort the table columns for links :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google