Indeed

Things that seemed important enough at the time

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Earthsway day

We had an earthquake out here this morning - probably the second biggest I've felt since I've been out here. Although it had made quite a few news stories, it really didn't cause any problems around here. It did make the blinds in my office sway back and forth slightly, which will take some time to recover (sniff).

Eric asked me what the standard earthquake procedure is around here, to which I replied: "you go out into the hallway to talk about it". It was a pretty gentle swaying back and forth, with the back of my mind worrying and remembering that these things sometimes knock over buildings. Of course you're probably supposed to stand in a doorway or hide under a desk, but being from the midwest I only know how to deal with tornados.

If I was still in my old office though, I probably wouldn't have even noticed today's gentle sway. The office was somehow perched on the most resonant spot of our floor - so any time someone would walk down the hallway it would feel like a small earthquake occurred. That got old fast.

If you want to see a map, check out this page at the usgs.gov site. Look soon if you want to see this one, since the map only shows the quakes from the past week.
And this page has the info for today's quake, which probably won't ever change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google