Indeed

Things that seemed important enough at the time

Monday, December 13, 2004

Experiences with Subversion

I've been meaning to setup a CVS server on my machine for my programming projects, and this weekend I finally got around to it. Well, actually I set up subversion. I started on Friday night, got it working on Saturday, broke it, and got it working again tonight. So far it has been broken more than it has worked :)

I posted a couple of links to del.icio.us that I used, if you're interested. I started by grabbing the disk images from Fred's iDisk. I was a little surprised that you have to install them all, but that turns out to be the case. I followed bits of the instructions from the other links, and I got it to work after lots of fumbling about.

I created a repository for a project, checked it back out, setup Xcode to use it, and did some modifications. At some point after that my powerbook decided not to wake from sleep, which has happened a few times since I've gotten it. And after that Xcode was reporting every file as a conflict, and any terminal commands were acting strange. After poking around in the documentation and searching on the web, I figured I should try repairing the repository. After that I needed to re-fix the permissions on the database to get it working again.

I'm not all that encouraged by my experiences so far, hopefully I've worked through my share of problems for a while. Let me know if anyone else has any interesting experiences with it...

1 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM, December 13, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've pretty much had the worst luck with subversion (i.e. many corrupt databases). In 1.1 I think, you can switch to a filesystem based repository rather than the berkeley db stuff. With that, I've had better luck for the most part, though I've still seen some issues. Unfortunately, the better merging capability along with the repository tagging and the apache webserver stuff means that I still use it instead of CVS despite all its flaws.

    --Tina

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google